WHAT IS BURSITIS?
Bursitis is caused by inflammation of a bursa. A bursa is a small fluid-filled sac that acts as a cushion and helps to reduce friction and help with joint movement between bone and soft tissue (muscles, tendons and skin). The bursa can become irritated or inflamed due to overuse or when there is an injury to a joint. The bursa fills with excess fluid causing pain and decreased movement to the injured area. Common sites for bursitis include the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee and heel.
- Pain local to the area
- Pain increases with movement
- Limited movement
- Area can be red and warm
- Increased pain at night
- Injury to an area
- Repeated pressure and overuse – poor technique
- Underlying pathology such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout and diabetes
- Being overweight and increase risk of bursitis in the hip and knee.
TREATMENT THAT YOUR CHIROPRACTOR CAN HELP YOU WITH
- Initial treatment prior to seeing your Chiropractor, is rest, ice and local pain analgesics and NSAID medication.
- With the Chiropractor, the aim is to relieve symptoms while healing takes place by focusing on: -
- Soft tissue work around the area
- Dry needling
- Rehab program which includes exercises and stretches
- Advice on technique of activity that maybe cause the bursitis
- Practice good postures
- Thorough warm up prior to activity
If you believe you have bursitis in an area. I highly recommend visiting a health professional. If you are local to the Loftus area, Health Associates would be more than happy to help you.
OUR LATEST BLOG FROM OUR CHIROPRACTOR JOSH HALLINAN
MONDAY - 9:00 AM TO 6:00 PM
WEDNESDAY - 9:00 AM TO 6:00 PM
SATURDAY - 8:00 AM TO 12:00 PM